Summer Fancy Food, 2010

Like every year, I had a blast fun at the Summer Fancy Food. (So did Diner's Journal who commented on the GFree-ness of it all.)

Here are some juicy updates with some of my favorite gluten-free, nut-free food companies and manufacturers:

***

Udi’s Gluten-Free

NUT NEWS: A few months back I bought some Udi’s Gluten-Free (here’s Udi’s Gluten-Free GF statement) at Whole Foods here in NYC and it had a new sticker on it that said made in a nutty plant. That was new, so I updated my review.

At this year’s Summer’s Fancy Food, I had a chance to confer directly with the owner (Son of Udi’s Gluten-Free), the excellent Etai.

In an effort to be completely transparent, Udi’s Gluten-Free put a new label on their gluten-free products as there are stored nuts (for the granola only) in the same facility that produces the gluten-free breads. (The nuts I am told are way across the manufacturing floor and behind a wall). Here’s the update from the Udi’s Gluten-Free site about their nut-free status and those new labels.

Etai further explained that Udi’s Gluten-Free regularly tests for allergens on both their finished products and the source materials to ensure that the products remain gluten free and nut free.

However, they're changing facilities soon, putting granola (and nuts) is a different place all together. The date on that is TBD but it is happening. Contact Udi’s Gluten-Free if you have further questions.

PRODUCT NEWS: Two newest additions to Udi’s Gluten-Free GF line: double chocolate muffins and bagels. I hope to sample those soon. Will let you know.

***

Kinnikinnick

NUT NEWS: All packaging (minus soft breads) now says tree nut and peanut free! (Consistent with the fact that they have been nut-free for over a year.)

PRODUCT NEWS: New roll-outs last fall: chocolate crème filled sandwich cookies and graham-style animal crackers. (Samples of which I have and will report in soon.) I hear from CEO Jerry, lemon sandwich creme and dry mixes are on deck by the fall. Oh boy can’t wait for those, I’m doing sit-ups now in preparation.

***

Divvies


(From The Divvies Bakery Cookbook by Lori Sandler. Copyright (c) 2010 by the author and reprinted by permission of St. Martin's Press, LLC.)

NEWS: Divvies cookbook is here! It goes on sale officially July 20 but you can pre-order here. I saw the book at the show, published by St. Martin’s Press, it has that same clean design that the Divvies products carry and it’s filled with allergen-free recipes. I can’t wait to dive in and start cooking.

Comments

Popular Posts